Friday, February 10, 2012

Surprise!

Recently, I had the pleasure of crossing #17 off my "30 before 30" list -- mail someone a surprise package. I sent both a belated birthday present to my friend and college roommate in Chicago and a Valentine's present to my mom. And, much to my delight, neither one was broken on arrival (they were both made of glass).

My mom's gift was low-key -- a rose-scented pink candle and a Valentine's card (stuffed, quite expertly, I might add, in a box -- something the postmaster and I puzzled over for several minutes). I should take the time here to give mad props to the postmaster. He was very helpful and full of funny and somewhat pathetic stories involving many of the patrons in and outside of my not-so-safe neighborhood post office. These included an anecdote about a note from a homeless person sleeping in the alcove at night: "Dear postmaster, please turn up the heat in the post office. It is too cold for us to sleep." But I digress.

My friend's gift was homemade and involved glass etching. I've had the tools to etch for quite some time but have been afraid to try it, mainly because I hate messing things up but mostly because I'm just lazy.

For this project, I turned to my handy Cricut die-cutting machine and some software. Because we both went to the University of Maryland, I wanted to create a nostalgic Maryland Terrapins frame for her home or office.
  1. First, I downloaded the Terps logo and then used my software to trace the JPG image into an SVG image.
  2. I then cut a stencil using my Cricut and contact paper.
  3. Placing the stencil on the glass of a small picture frame, I etched the glass using an etching cream.
  4. For the inside of the frame, I used a Terps sticker I had from back in the day and mounted it on red cardstock.
  5. Voila! A homemade frame that was both easy and fun to make.
(And one tiny side note -- the package to my friend wasn't quite a surprise; I had to email her to ensure I had the correct address.)

Still, if I had the money, time, and resources, I think I'd mail surprise packages every month. I loved knowing someone was going to get something unexpected that just might brighten her day.

No comments: